BECOME AN AMERICORPS STATE PROGRAM
AmeriCorps State and National is a broad network of grant-funded AmeriCorps programs. It provides financial support to public and nonprofit organizations that sponsor service programs around the country, including hundreds of community- and faith-based organizations, higher education institutions, Indian tribes, and public agencies.
Grants provide assistance to programs to recruit, train, and supervise AmeriCorps members meeting critical community needs in the areas of education, disaster services, health, environmental stewardship, economic opportunity, and service to veterans and military families. Grant applicants design service activities for a team of members serving full- or part-time for up to one year or during the summer.
As the designated State Commission on service and volunteerism, Kansas Volunteer Commission administers funding from the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) to AmeriCorps State programs in Kansas.
- State and local nonprofit, community and faith-based organizations, state, local and higher education institution, state and local government.
- Proposed programs must address a Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) focus area. The CNCS focus areas are: Disaster Services, Economic Opportunity, Education, Environmental Stewardship, Healthy Futures, and Veterans and Military Families.
- The applicant organization, either by itself or through agreements with partner organizations, must submit an application to support at least five member service years (MSYs). An application requesting fewer than five MSYs is not eligible for funding.
- The applicant organization has an A-133 Audit or an Independent Financial Audit and has experience in managing a state and/or federal grant.
- The applicant organization has a DUNS number and an Employer Identification Number and is registered with the System for Award Management (SAM).
Selected applicants receive federal grant funds to support their proposed AmeriCorps program. The amount of funding received is based upon the number of AmeriCorps members being requested, the funding type awarded, and the approved application budget.
When to Apply:
Application instructions are typically made available in September/October with an application deadline in December/January. Applicants are notified of their status in May.
Learn more about how to become an AmeriCorps State Program:
- Contact Paula Branizor by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit Kansas Volunteer Commission’s Funding FAQ page.