SPONSOR AN AMERICORPS VISTA PROJECT
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. VISTA supports efforts to alleviate poverty by encouraging individuals from all walks of life to engage in a year of full-time service with a sponsoring organization to create or expand programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty.
Rather than providing cash grants, the VISTA program places individual VISTAs, Summer Associates, and Leaders with sponsoring organizations. Resources are provided to sponsors on an annual basis. In very limited circumstances, small grants may be available at the discretion of the CNCS State Office.
VISTA provides a small living allowance and certain benefits for members. Sponsoring organizations absorb most of the costs related to project supervision and logistical support. Investment by the sponsoring organization and the community is fundamental to the VISTA program, as the VISTA resource is intended to be short-term.
Public, private, or faith-based nonprofit organizations, local, state, or federal agencies.
No funds are granted to organizations that sponsor an AmeriCorps VISTA Project.
- Have resources available for VISTAs to perform their tasks, i.e., work space, consumable supplies, telephone, on-the-job transportation reimbursement; and be able to provide emergency cash advances to VISTAs when needed.
- Have the capacity and commitment to recruit, orient, train, supervise, and otherwise support recruited VISTA members in appropriate capacity-building roles.
- Have an understanding of the concept of, and be committed to, the mission of VISTA.
- Be experienced in the issues related to the beneficiaries of service and those being addressed by the proposed project.
- Have the capacity to involve the beneficiary community to achieve project sustainability.
When to Apply:
- Applications are accepted year-round.
- To apply for VISTA resources, organizations complete a two-step process:
Step 1 – AmeriCorps VISTA Concept Paper. Organizations submit an AmeriCorps VISTA Concept Paper to CNCS. The Concept Paper is a preliminary screening tool that CNCS uses to evaluate whether the organization would be an appropriate sponsor.
Step 2 – AmeriCorps VISTA Project Application. If CNCS approves the Concept Paper, the organization submits an AmeriCorps VISTA Project Application based on the approved Concept Paper. CNCS provides Project Application materials following approval of a Concept Paper.
Learn more about how to become an AmeriCorps VISTA Sponsor:
- Visit the CNCS website
- Contact the Corporation for National and Community Service’s Kansas Office by calling 816-905-3706 or emailing email@example.com.